Freshly harvested beets rubbed with ground mustard seeds, coconut sugar, and sea salt. Served with fresh mint yogurt and seasoned lentils.
Beet harvest! This is the best time of the year. Better than Christmas! Local Farmer’s markets are open with a lot of new vendors and delicious treats.
The farmer’s markets definitely look different this year. Everyone is wearing a face mask and long lines have been created for social distancing. Probably one of my favorite discoveries this year was locally made yogurt called Milk Honey Fine Yogurt. I love every single flavor she makes. Each carton of yogurt comes with a thick layer of cream on top. It’s like dipping into a bowl of Panna Cotta but much healthier. Milk Honey’s mint yogurt has an earthy mint flavor that pairs perfectly with sweet roasted beets.
If you’re not fortunate enough to snag a carton of this amazing yogurt, just chop fresh mint and stir it into plain yogurt with a pinch of salt.
Roasting the Beets:
- Wash, peel, and cut the beets. If your beets are small, just cut them in half. Quarter the beets if they are large. Just make sure they are all about the same size so they cook evenly.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil.
- Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the mustard seeds and coconut sugar to a coarse powder.
- Sprinkle over the beets and roll them around to coat all sides.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in a preheated 350℉ oven for 35-45 minutes or until the beets are tender and starting to crisp around the edges.
Plating and Serving the Roasted Beets:
- Mix yogurt with a pinch of salt and fresh chopped mint. Spread half of the yogurt on a serving plate or bowl
- Arrange roasted beets on top and serve with a side of seasoned lentils.
- Sprinkle with sea salt such as Maldon’s.
Roasted Beets with Mint Yogurt
Mustard seed roasted beets with natural mint yogurt and seasoned lentils
- 3-4 beets medium size, peeled and cut into 8ths
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or thin honey, or sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup yogurt plain full fat
- pinch of sea salt Maldon
- 1 tbsp mint leaves fresh, finely chopped
- 1 cup black lentils seasoned cooked. Green lentils may be used
Preheat oven to 350℉.
Wash and peel beets. Cut in half or quarter depending on the size of the beets.
Arrange beets on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil. Set aside.
Using a coffee/spice grinder or mortar and pestle, grind mustard seeds. Add sugar and salt.
Sprinkle the ground mustard seed/ sugar mixture and salt over the beets. Roll the beets around to coat all sides.
Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes. Depending on how large the beets are. Cook until tender with just a bit of crispy edges.
How to serve
Mix yogurt with fresh mint leaves and a good pinch of Maldon sea salt (or any nice sea salt you may have. Spread on a serving plate, top with roasted beets, finish with another pinch of sea salt. Serve with lentils on the side.
You May Also Love
This post is NOT a paid post from Milk Honey Yogurt. I was given a carton of the mint yogurt. I loved the earthy flavor so much I had to top it roasted beets and post it. 😋 ❤️