The secret to a great jam is fresh and flavorful tomatoes from the garden. A local farmer’s market is a great place to purchase flavorful produce.
Prepping the Jam
- Wash and core the tomatoes.
- Peel the tomatoes. If you don’t remove the peel, the jam will have curly pieces of skin in it, which isn’t a bad thing.
- Remove the seeds. If not, the reduced jam will be too seedy.
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes and place in a medium-size saucepan.
Spicy Tomato Jam Ingredients
- Deseed from the jalapeno then cut to a fine dice. Add to the pan.
- Add chopped or grated ginger, cumin, cinnamon, and ground cloves.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Pour in fresh lemon juice.
Cooking the Tomato Jam
- Stir ingredients together and place over medium heat.
- When the mixture begins to boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Depending on how juicy the tomatoes are.
- Reduce the mixture until most of the juices have reduced to a glaze.
- The jam is done when the mixture is reduced and has a very thick consistency.
The aroma from this jam simmering will fill your home and kitchen with sweet spices. Note to self: create a Spicy Tomato Jam candle. 😜
This recipe makes 8 ounces of wonderful spicy jam.
Spicy Tomato Jam
I love preserving my tomato harvest into this spicy tomato jam. It's a really fun treat to have in the middle of winter.
- 4 large ripe tomatoes about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Peel, seed, and chop the tomatoes and place in a medium-size heavy saucepan Seed and finely dice the jalapeno peppers and add t the pan with tomatoes. Dice or grate the fresh ginger then add to the tomatoes and peppers along with the sugar, spices, salt, and lemon juice.
Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 - 45 minutes or until thick. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 1 cup.
This recipe was previously posted int 2012. An updated printable recipe card and photos have been added.