Farm Stand Kale and Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is an excellent way to add protein to a salad. Not only is it a great vegetarian option, it adds a fun texture.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa 1/2 cup uncooked
- 1/3 cup pumpkins seeds toasted
- 1 teaspoon butter for toasting seeds
- 1 bunch Kale I'm using a mixture of flat and curly leaf, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small peppers
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Lemon Garlic Salad Dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- To cook quinoa, add 1 cup water to 1/2 cup quinoa and a pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is tender. Cool completely.
- To toast pumpkin seeds, place seeds with 1 teaspoon butter and a pinch of salt into a skillet. Cook over medium heat until the seeds begin to pop and are lightly golden. Remove to a plate set aside to cool.
Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing. This salad will hold up completely dressed and refrigerated for a few hours.
For the salad dressing:
- Combine lemon juice, Dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper in a small bowl. Stir to blend. Slowly whisk remaining olive oil in cup into lemon-juice mixture. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.