Giant Cheddar Twists are made with a buttery, soft dough filled and twisted with cheese to form a knot. These large rolls are great served with soup and perfect to dip into a hot bowl of chili.
If you love my recipe for Giant Cinnamon Twists, you’ll love this version filled with cheddar cheese.
Why I Love These Rolls
- Hello!! Oozy warm cheddar!
- Simple to make…no joke.
- These rolls don’t have to look perfect. That’s what gives them their character. 😉
- You can be creative using different cheese as long as the cheese melts nicely. May I suggest Pepper Jack?!
- Freeze great!
- Can be thawed then reheated wrapped in aluminum foil. Place in a 300℉ oven for about 7-10 minutes.
- Slice in half and use to make sandwiches. AMAZING!!!
- This recipe makes approximately 24 rolls to serve a crowd.
Giant Cheddar Twist Dough
- Add eggs to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat well.
- Mix in sugar and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium-size saucepan melt the butter. Add milk.
- Heat mixture to 110℉. Pour the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture. Mix well.
- Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture until the yeast has softened then stir in the yeast.
- Add 2-3 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
The First Dough Rise
- Continue to add flour 1 cup at a time at low speed until smooth. The dough should be smooth and somewhat sticky.
- Place dough in a very large bowl that has been lightly oiled.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place.
- The dough should be doubled in size.
Making Giant Cheddar Twists
- Roll out the dough to a large rectangle approximately 24 x 13-inches. Spread the melted butter over the dough. Sprinkle the cheese over half of the dough.
- Fold the dough without the cheese over top of the half with cheese. Press gently.
- Cut the cheese-filled dough into 1-inch strips. A pizza cutter is a perfect tool for cutting the strips. A knife can, also, be used.
- Take each strip and gently twist, then tie the twisted dough into a knot. Place each know on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet. Allow to rise for about 30-45 minutes or until the dough feels like a marshmallow when gently pressed. Bake in a preheated 400℉ oven for 12-14 minutes or until a light golden brown. Great served warm.
Warning: The temptation is strong to eat hot and fresh out of the oven, which I highly recommend. But you won’t be able to eat just one!
GIANT Cheddar Twists
Giant rolls filled with cheddar cheese then twisted into knots.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
- 5-6 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3-4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
In the large bowl (6-quart) of a mixer, beat eggs, sugar, and salt. In a medium-size saucepan melt butter. Add the milk and heat until the milk is lightly warmed about 110 ℉. Remove from the heat and pour into the egg mixture. Mix until combined. Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture and let stand for about 2 minutes to soften the yeast. Whisk into the milk mixture. Add 5 cups of flour and beat until dough is smooth. Add remaining flour 1 cup, as needed, a little at a time until dough is smooth and slightly sticky or until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl while mixing. Place the dough in a very large bowl that has been lightly oiled. Cover with a clean cloth and allow to rise until doubled in size. About 45-60 minutes.
Gently remove the dough from the bowl. Let rest a few minutes. Roll the dough into a 24 x 13-inch rectangle. Spread the lower half of the dough with butter. Sprinkle grated cheese over the butter. Fold over the upper half of the dough over the cheese. Cut into 1-inch strips. Twist each strip of dough then tie in a knot. Place on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover with a clean cloth and allow to rise for 30-45 minutes. The dough should feel like a marshmallow when gently pressed. Bake in a pre-heated 400℉ oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
You May Also Love
Click on photos for the recipe link.