I realize it’s hard to make the claim “best ever” but no one can argue that homemade buttermilk pancakes are simply the best. The absolute best ever blueberry buttermilk pancake I have ever had was in Woodstock, Vermont. It was AMAZING and loaded with fresh Maine blueberries. That pancake was hard to beat, but this recipe comes very close. I have been using this buttermilk pancake recipe for over 25 years. They are thick and fluffy and never disappoint. Not to mention they are so easy to make.
It’s breakfast for dinner tonight! It’s a very rare occasion to find locally grown blueberries in Utah. These blue gems are so sweet and plump and actually taste like blueberries. My first thought was buttermilk pancakes! That’s why I couldn’t wait for breakfast. I need blueberry buttermilk pancakes tonight.
I really scored at the farmer’s market last weekend. That’s why I decided to top the blueberry pancakes with fresh raspberries and peaches. Heaven!
Let’s make buttermilk pancakes from scratch:
Making buttermilk pancakes from scratch is quicker and easier than you may think. Follow along with these step-by-step photo’s. You’ll find yourself tossing that old box mix in the garbage.
- Gather all of the pancake ingredients together.
- Add flour, sugar, soda, salt, and baking powder in a medium size bowl and whisk together. A sifter can be used as well.
- Beat the eggs.
- Add buttermilk, melted butter, and beaten eggs.
- Mix well with as few as strokes as possible. Batter will be a bit lumpy.
- Stir in 1/2 – 1 cup blueberries and gently stir OR you can just top the pancakes with blueberries. Just make sure to press them into the top of the pancake a bit so they don’t fall out when they are flipped.
- Pour batter onto a hot griddle until golden brown on each side.
- Make them whatever size you want. I like 6-inch size pancakes…for no particular reason. That’s just the size that works on my griddle.
I wanted to this stack of pancakes so you can see how thick and lovely they are.
Blueberry buttermilk pancakes drizzled with pure maple syrup, topped with whipped cream, fresh blueberries and peaches. You can top them anyway you want. Buttermilk pancakes are amazing just plain with butter and pure maple syrup. Make your own plate of heaven.
Best Ever Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Thick and fluffy blueberry buttermilk pancakes. With whipped cream, fresh blueberries and peaches.
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour can use white wheat
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- whipped cream
- fresh peaches sliced
- blueberries fresh
- pure maple syrup
In a mixing bowl whisk or sift together flour, sugar, salt, soda, and baking powder.
Stir in beaten eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Mix ingredients well, but with as few as strokes as possible. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
Gently fold in blueberries.
Bake on a hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Serve hot with a dollop of whipped cream, fresh fruit, and pure maple syrup. This recipe will make 8-12 pancakes that are 5-6-inches in diameter.
- Nutrition estimates are for pancakes only made with blueberries. Does NOT include whipped cream, fruit, or maple syrup .