Taking the autumn chill off tonight with Pumpkin Apple Soup. Pumpkins and apples pair perfectly in this warming harvest soup.
Utah’s harvest is in full swing and the Farmer’s market is bursting with locally grown produce. Because Honeycrisp apples are large, juicy, and plentiful I had to use them in this curried pumpkin soup.
Shopping at a Farmer’s Market is on the top of my favorite things to do besides having an overwhelming sense of gratitude for all the bounty, my head starts reeling with all the baking possibilities. I munched down 3 Honeycrisp apples while strolling through the booths. Heaven…shear heaven.
Let’s make Pumpkin Apple Soup:
- Gather all of the ingredients. Measure, chop and prep.
- In a large heavy pot add ghee (or coconut oil) diced onion, apple, and crushed garlic.
- Saute over medium heat until onions and apples are soft. About 10 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree, apple juice, and chicken stock. Simmer over low heat, covered, for 30 minutes. Stirring every now and then to prevent scorching. Mixture is very thick.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid and transfer mixture to a blender in batches. Blend until smooth. Remember mixture is very hot so be careful not to burn yourself during this process.
Return puree to the large pot. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Thin with coconut milk (or cream). Reheat over low heat.
Serve hot soup topped with toasted pumpkin seeds, diced apples, a bit of coconut milk, and a drizzle of pure maple syrup because the sweetness tastes so good with this savory soup.
Enjoy the harvest.
Pumpkin Apple Soup
Creamy Pumpkin Apple Soup made with coconut milk. Topped with diced apples, toasted pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Pumpkin Apple Soup:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 honeycrisp apple peeled, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-4 tsp curry powder
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple juice fresh pressed
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 - 14 ounces
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- pumpkin seeds salted and toasted
- apple diced
- coconut milk or cream
- Pure maple syrup
Pumpkin Apple Soup
In a large, heavy pot, melt coconut oil or ghee. Add onions, apples, garlic, and curry powder. Cook over medium heat until onions are beginning to become tender.
Add pumpkin puree, chicken stock, and apple juice. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add cooked pumpkin mixture into a bender in batches. Blend until smooth. Being very careful because the liquid is very hot.
Return to pot and thin with coconut milk. Heat until warm. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, maple syrup. Top with fresh apples and pumpkin seeds.
- Watch soup carefully while simmering for 30 minutes. Mixture is very thick and can scorch on bottom of pan. Stir frequently.
- Any type of tart apple can be used.
- Cream may be used in place of coconut milk.
- Olive oil or butter may be used in place of coconut oil or ghee
- Pumpkin soup freezes very well for about a month.