Who doesn’t love a steaming bowl of ramen on a cold crisp Autumn day? Miso roasted pumpkin ramen with black rice has a creamy coconut and pumpkin broth. White miso paste has been used in the broth and to roast the pumpkin because of it’s rich umami flavor that enhances the rich broth.
I took a few liberties and topped with ramen with roasted pumpkin, crisp veggies and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Not only is black rice ramen delicious, it is one of the most nutritious ancient grains, it has a nutty flavor and is gluten free.
To make Roasted Pumpkin Soup:
Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- You will need one sugar pumpkin, coconut oil, white miso, and coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- Place coconut oil, miso, and coconut sugar on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet in preheated oven for 2-3 minutes or just until coconut oil melts. Remove from oven and stir contents together.
- Seed and peel pumpkin. Cut into 1-2 inch cubes. Place on baking sheet and mix with coconut oil mixture until all of the pumpkin is coated.
- Place in preheated oven and roast until golden brown and when pumpkin becomes soft. About 30 minutes or so. Remove from oven and set aside. Be sure to reserve 1 cup cooked pumpkin for top of ramen.
- Gather and measure ingredients. Cook black rice noodles according to package directions. Drain then set aside.
- Melt coconut oil and saute ginger and garlic until fragrant.
- Add veggie stock, coconut milk, miso, and roasted pumpkin . (reserve 1 cup roasted pumpkin)
- Pour broth ingredients and pumpkin into a blender or food processor. Be very careful because the broth can be hot.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth. Add 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, if you’d like additional heat. I always like additional heat.
- Return to pot and heat pumpkin broth until hot and steaming.
- I like to add a cold crunch to ramen. I recommend slices of Thai chili peppers, julienned carrots, sliced green onions, and purple cabbage.
- Quick pickle the cabbage by adding 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar to 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage.
To assemble Ramen:
Place cooked black rice noodles in a serving bowl. Pour hot pumpkin/miso broth over top. Top with reserved roasted pumpkin, carrots, pickled purple cabbage, sliced Thai chili peppers, cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds, and a squeeze of lime juice. Add chop sticks. Enjoy.
Miso Roasted Pumpkin Ramen
Creamy roasted pumpkin broth with black rice noodles, roasted pumpkin, quick pickled purple cabbage, carrots, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
- 1 sugar pumpkin or 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp white miso organic
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2-3 cups vegetable stock can use chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk canned
- 2 tbsp white miso organic
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic chopped
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 2-4 blocks Black rice ramen noodles cooked
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin that was reserved
- 1 large carrot julienned or shredded
- 1 cup purple cabbage shredded thin
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1-2 Thai chili peppers sliced
- green onions sliced on diagonal
- cilantro fresh
- 1 lime quartered for each serving
- pumpkin seeds if desired.
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Seed, peel, and dice one sugar pumpkin into 1-2 inch cubes. Set aside
On a baking sheet add coconut oil, miso, and coconut sugar. Place in preheated oven until coconut oil melts. Stir together. Toss cut pumpkin in miso mixture. Return to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and soft. Reserve 1 cup cooked pumpkin. Set aside.
Pumpkin Ramen Broth:
Cook black rice ramen noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a medium size pot add stock, coconut milk, white miso, fresh ginger, garlic and roasted pumpkin. Bring to a simmer.
Carefully pour ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add cayenne, if desired for heat. Return to pot and heat until beginning to steam.
Add rice vinegar to sliced purple cabbage to do a quick pickle. Set aside. Peel and shred carrots. Slice Thai peppers, green onions.
Divide cooked black rice noodles among 2-4 bowls. Ladle hot pumpkin broth over noodles. Top with reserved roasted pumpkin and desired toppings. Carrots, purple cabbage, hot peppers, cilantro, Thai chili peppers, slice green onion, toasted pumpkin seeds, squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- 1 cup canned pumpkin may be used in place of roasted pumpkin.
- regular ramen or rice ramen noodles may be used.
- chicken stock may be used, but broth will not be vegetarian/vegan.
- a soft boiled egg may be used, if not concerned about vegan.
- Ramen can be topped with favorite toppings. Sauteed Shiitake mushrooms are really good. Create your own style and taste with your toppings.
Another recipe with black rice:
Green Curry with Black Forbidden rice
Slow cooker recipes you might like:
Fresh Herb Crock Pot Turkey Breast
Those black noodles are so fun for Halloween!!
Such a creative idea!