For the peach filling you will need:
3 cups fresh peaches, peeled and diced (about 5-6 peaches)
A squeeze from 1/2 a lemon
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
pinch of salt
1 recipe of double pie dough
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons raw or sanding sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Peel and pit about 5-6 peaches.
Cut into a small dice
Place peaches in a large bowl.
Squeeze a bit of lemon over the peaches.
Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
Neighbor good honey. Thanks Kenny and Becca.
My peaches were so sweet I only added 2 tablespoons honey.
Add 1/2 teaspoons almond extract.
Throw in a pinch of salt.
Stir to blend. Set aside.
When making the recipe for pie dough, pat the entire batch into a square and refrigerate.
On a floured surface, roll out pie crust.
Roll out to a 15 x 18-inch rectangle. Or close to that dimension.
Cut 5 three inch strips along the 15-inch side.
Going the opposite direction cut strips every 4-inches.
There should be 25 3 x 4-inch rectangles. Actually you will have 25. Just sprinkle sugar over the leftover rectangle and bake it…a little treat for yourself.
Brush the edges of with heavy cream.
Add a heaping tablespoon full of peach filling.
Dot with a few small pieces of butter.
Top with another rectangle of pie dough.
Press edges together.
Seal tightly with fork tines.
Brush with heavy cream.
Sprinkle with sugar. I’m using raw Turbinado sugar.
Cut a few slits into the top pie crust to allow steam to escape.
Place in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven when golden brown. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes because the filling is very hot. I know this because I just bit into one because I couldn’t wait. I should have topped the hot pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream…for cooling purposes, of course.
The crust will seriously melt in your mouth. It’s so buttery and flaky. I love peaches and almonds.
Yet, I’m thinking maybe I might be craving cinnamon today with my peaches??
Note to self: Next time add a dash of cinnamon.
I’m off to share these peach hand pies with my good neighbors. After all it’s because of their goodness that I was able bake something divine today. I love taking a day out of my week for baking.
Everyone needs at least 2 peach hand pies…one for each hand.
To Mimi, Kenny & Becca: You have a place in my heart.
Hand Peach Pies
- 3 cups fresh peaches peeled and diced (about 5-6 peaches)
- A squeeze from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 recipe of double pie dough prepared and cold
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons raw or sanding sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- To make the filling: Peel, pit and dice about 5-6 peaches. Place in a large bowl. Add a squeeze of lemon, cornstarch, honey, almond extract and salt. Stir then set aside.
- Roll out pie dough into a 15 x 18-inch rectangle. Cut 3-inch strips along the 15-inch side then cut 4-inch strips going along the 18-inch side. You should have 25 3 x 4-inch rectangles. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 6 rectangles on each baking sheet. Spoon a heaving tablespoon of peach filling into the center of each rectangle. Brush edges with cream. Top with second rectangle of dough. Crimp edges with a fork so seal. Brush top of pie with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Repeat until there are 12 hand pies. Bake in a preheat 400 degree oven for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.