You will need:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water (cool to room temperature. It doesn’t need to be warm)
For the topping:
Extra-virgin Olive Oil
Sea salt (love Maldon)
Place the 3 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl.
Add 1/2 teaspoon yeast.
Add 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt.
Whisk to blend.
Pour in 1 1/2 cups water all at once.
Stir just until the flour is absorbed. No need to knead…just leave it just like this photo above.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and walk away. Do not refrigerate the dough. Leave it out at room temperature for 12 – 18 hours. Trust me…just walk away and leave it.
After the dough has set for 12 – 18 hours it will be all bubbly and super sticky. That means it’s perfect.
Right now go an preheat your oven to 450F.
Cover an 8 x 8-inch square pan with olive oil. Use as the best extra-virgin olive oil that you can afford. Yes, it does make a difference in the overall flavor of the focaccia. I use about 1/4 – 1/3 cup.
I know it’s a lot. Not to worry. The dough will absorb the oil and create the most delicious crust.
Just cover the pan.
Scoop the dough out of the bowl.
And drop it immediately into the pan with the gallon of olive oil.
Using your fingers gently press dimples into the dough. There is no need try to stretch it or make it fit completely into the pan. Work the dough as little as possible. As I press the dough I dip my fingers into the olive oil so the oil fills in to the little dimples.
I know…it looks like a ton of olive oil. Go with it.
Chop a spring of fresh rosemary.
Sprinkle over the top of the dough along with some coarse sea salt. I love Maldon salt. It’s like flaky crystals. It’s a fabulous finishing salt. Amazon is a resource for Maldon sea salt, if you can’t find it in your local stores.
Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Let the focaccia sit while the oven is heating.
Place in a preheated 450 degree oven. Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the foil.
Bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Or until golden brown. Immediately remove from the pan.
Serve on a cute kitty cutting board.
Notice the texture and the large holes.
Just look at the bottom crust. The dough absorbed all of the olive oil. It’s so crisp. So addicting.
Don’t stop with rosemary and sea salt. Create your own 5 minute Focaccia. I’m thinking Kalamata olives.
No-knead Focaccia Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water cool to room temperature. It doesn't need to be warm
For the topping:
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil
- Sea salt love Maldon
- Fresh rosemary
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Stir in water. Mix just until the mixture forms a ball and the flour has absorbed the water. Do not over mix. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 12 - 18 hours.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 450 degrees. Cover the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch square pan with extra virgin olive oil. Scrape dough out of the bowl (it will be very sticky) directly into the prepared pan. Press dimples into the dough with finger tips. Sprinkle with fresh rosemary and sea salt. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until golden.
- Makes 1 8 x 8-inch focaccia.