Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef
- Cut chuck roast into 3 to 4-inch chunks and place in a crockpot. Sprinkle in salt and pepper.
- Add cumin, chipotle powder and cinnamon.
- Toss in one chopped onion and 4 chopped garlic cloves
- Chop the chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and add to the pot.
Cooking the Barbacoa Beef
- Pour in 1/4 cup fresh lime juice.
- Juice from one orange.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped cilantro. At this point, I use my hands to rub the ingredients into the beef.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the mix to help seal in all moisture. Fold the parchment in half and I’m pressing it against the mix.
- Cover crockpot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for about 6 hours.
While the beef is cooking, prepare pickled jalapenos and caramelized shallots.
- Add 3/4 cup rice vinegar to a small bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar. Stir to dissolve.
- Add sliced jalapeno peppers.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour or two. Can be made a day in advance.
Balsamic Glazed Shallots
- In medium size skillet, add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.
- Add sliced shallots.
- Bring to a gentle simmer to lightly caramelize the shallots.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
Remove parchment paper from the top of the beef and discard. Shred the beef with two forks. Discard any fatty pieces. Return the beef back into the juices until ready to serve.
To assemble you will need: cooked shredded beef, pickled jalapeno peppers, caramelized shallots, avocado & mango slices.
Instant Pot Option
If you don’t have time for the slow-cooked crockpot method, toss all the ingredients into an instant pot or pressure cooker. Cook on high for one hour using natural release.
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef on Steamed Buns
Slow cooked Barbacoa beef with glazed shallots, pickled veggies on a steam bun
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. beef chuck roast cut into 3-4 inch cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- juice from 1 orange
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 shallots peeled and sliced thin
Pickled jalapeno peppers:
- 3 jalapeno peppers thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ripe mango
- ripe avocado
- steamed buns
To prepare beef:
Place all ingredients in a crockpot. Place a sheet of parchment paper over ingredients, cover with lid. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Using two forks shred the beef and return the to juices in the pan and keep warm until ready to serve.
To prepare Shallots:
Add vinegar and shallots into a medium size skillet. Cook over medium heat and bring to a low simmer until shallots begin to caramelize. Remove from heat.
To prepare Pickled Jalapeno Peppers:
In a bowl add vinegar, salt and sugar. Stir to dissolve then add sliced peppers. Place in refrigerator while beef is cooking. Can be made a day in advance.
Layer beef with caramelized shallots, pickled jalapeno peppers, ripe avocado slices and mango slices inside a steamed bun or flour or corn tortillas.
- Serves 4-6
This recipe was previously posted in April of 2015. Updated information, recipe card, and nutrition have been added
Add these favorites to your Cinco de Mayo menu