If you are serious about your burgers and you want THE best burger in town, brioche burger buns are for you.
Brioche burger buns are rich, buttery, and simple to make.
Once you try homemade burger buns, you’ll have a hard time purchasing buns again.
Gather and measure all of the ingredients.
Pour the 3 tablespoons of warm milk into the 1 cup warm water.
Add 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
and 2 teaspoons of dry yeast.
Stir to dissolve the sugar and yeast. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor add 3 cups bread flour and 1/3 cup all-purpose flour.
I discovered that making dough in a food processor is super fast and makes a beautiful dough.
To the flour add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
Pulse the flour ingredients together a few times to combine.
Cut up the 1/4 cup butter.
Add to the flour mixture.
Pulse several times until the flour mixture is like a sandy mixture.
Beat 1 egg.
Add to the flour mixture.
Place the lid on the processor and slowly pour in the water/yeast mixture with the machine running.
Keep the processor running until a smooth soft dough forms.
The entire process will probably take 3 minutes. How awesome is that?
Butter a large bowl.
Remove dough from processor and form into a smooth ball of dough.
Place in butter bowl.
Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
This dough is so soft and nice you shouldn’t need to place it on a floured board. The dough is perfect to handle as is.
Remove dough from the bowl.
Cut dough into 8 equal portions.
If you’re anal and want each bun to be the exact same size, you can weigh it. I found that I can make eight 4-ounce buns.
Shape the buns into a ball.
Then gently flatten to form a disk.
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly greased.
I like to place them far apart because they will rise quite a bit. No more than 6 to a baking sheet.
To make the glaze for the buns, add cold water to the egg.
Whisk the egg and water together creating an egg wash.
Gently brush the dough with egg wash. Make sure to brush around the sides.
Sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds, if you so choose.
Spray a piece of plastic wrap with nonstick spray and lightly cover the buns.
Allow to rise for an additional 30-60 minutes.
You can tell if the dough is fully risen by gently pressing on the dough. If it feels like a marshmallow, then it’s ready to bake.
Place in a preheated 400 F (205C) degree oven.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool before storing.I have made them a week in advance then placed them in the freezer. The buns will thaw perfectly. Spread with a
little butter and toast for the perfect bed for a burger.
This makes a large bun. Dough can easily be divided into smaller rounds for smaller buns. Diving dough into 16 small pieces of dough makes a perfect slider bun.
Brioche Burger Buns
Buttery, soft burger buns or rolls.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 6 minutes
rise time 2 hours
Total Time 26 minutes
Calories 220 kcal
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp warm milk
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg large
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds optional
- In a glass measuring cup, combine one cup warm water, the milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about five minutes. Meanwhile, beat one egg.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a dough blade, add both flours, salt and butter. Pulse several times until the butter is blended in and the flour mixture resembles sand. Beat the egg and add to the flour mixture.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour in water mixture and mixing until the dough forms a ball.
- Lightly butter a large bowl. Shape dough into a ball and place it in the buttered bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, one to two hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using dough scraper, divide dough into 8 equal parts. Gently roll each into a ball, flatten slightly and shape into a disk. Arrange two to three inches apart on baking sheet. Cover loosely with a clean dish towel and allow to rise again for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the dough feels like a marshmallow when gently touched.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in center. Beat remaining egg with one tablespoon water and brush the tops and around the sides of the bun. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired. Bake baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. Makes 8 4 to 5-inch burger bun.
- Directions for an stand electric mixer: In a large bowl of an electric mixer stir together flours with salt. Add butter and mix using the paddle attachment. Add the yeast mixture until the dough forms a ball and is smooth and elastic.
- This makes a large bun. Dough can easily be divided into smaller rounds for smaller buns. Diving dough into 16 small pieces of dough makes a perfect slider bun.
Brioche Burger Buns
Amount Per Serving (10 g)
Calories 220 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Sodium 366mg 15%
Potassium 67mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 6g 12%
Vitamin A 3.9%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.