Beef Noodle Salad with Mango Ginger Dressing
Adding greens to your noodles helps lighten up your salad so you can enjoy more fun flavors.
- 2 lb flank steak
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 16 ounces Soba noodles
- 1 lb Mixed baby salad greens
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 yellow or orange pepper sliced
- 1/2 cup julienned snow peas
- 1/2 cup carrots peeled and julienned or shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions tops only
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger yum
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- toasted almonds peanuts or cashews
Mango Ginger Dressing:
- 1/3 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup light Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 mango or 1/4 cup mango puree
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- pinch of salt to taste
- Juice of two limes
- Score both sides of the flank steak. For the beef marinade, add all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Mix. Place flank steak in a resealable bag and pour marinade over the beef. Reseal bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large pot of salted water cook soba noodles for 2-3 minutes or until al dente. Strain noodles and rinse in cold water. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made 1 day in advance.
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl except for the nuts. Set aside while making the dressing.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan. Remove beef from marinade and place on hot grill. Cook for about 6-7 minutes on each side for medium. Grill for about 5 minutes if you would like beef more rare. Remove from grill and let stand for 15 minutes before slices to retain meat juices then cut into thin slices.
- Toss 1/3 cup of the mango dressing with the noodles and toss 1/3 cup mango dressing with the greens. On a large platter layer salad greens, pickled ginger, noodles, repeat. Beginning and ending with the salad greens. Sprinkle top with toasted almonds. Arrange beef around the sides of the salad.
(Inspired by the "Hali'maile General Store cookbook)