Simple Pumpkin Coconut Bisque is a warming autumnal soup made with pumpkin pureé, creamy coconut milk, lightly spiced with fresh ginger and topped with the texture of toasted pumpkin seeds.
Why I love this pumpkin coconut soup
- It’s made with pumpkin!
- Coconut milk!!
- Super simple to make.
- Ready to eat in less than 40 minutes.
- Warming soup for chilly days and nights.
- So soothing on days when I’m down with a cold or flu.
- Freezes well.
How to Make Simple Pumpkin Coconut Bisque
- In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onions.
- Saute the onions until they begin to turn golden. Add the ginger and garlic to the onions and saute for a few minutes longer.
- To the onions add the pumpkin puree, salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, and ground allspice. Stir together. Cover the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Ladle the mixture into a blender. Puree the mixture until completely smooth.
Pour the pumpkin mixture back into the pot. Add 2 cups of coconut milk. If you want a thinner consistency, you can add more coconut milk or chicken stock until you reach the consistency that you want. Whisk the mixture together. Bring the soup to a simmer. To serve garnish with a little drizzle of coconut milk, ground nutmeg, and pumpkin seeds.
How to serve Pumpkin Coconut Bisque
- Drizzle with a bit of coconut milk.
- Sprinkle with a hint of fresh grated or ground nutmeg.
- Top with a spoonful of toasted or raw pumpkin seeds for crunch and texture. 😋
- Leftover soup can be stored in a covered container and refrigerated for 3-4 days. The soup freezes very well for up to 1 month.
This easy and quick to make bisque is definitely my go-to soup for chilly days and nights.
Simple Pumpkin Coconut Bisque
- 2 tablespoons butter coconut oil or olive oil can be used
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 3 cups pumpkin cooked or canned
- 2 1/2 cups Vegetable or chicken stock homemade or good quality canned
- 1 tablespoon Coconut sugar optional may use brown sugar or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups coconut milk unsweetened canned
- Ground nutmeg
- pumpkin seeds
Melt butter in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until golden. Add fresh ginger and garlic. Saute an additional 3-4 minutes. Add pumpkin, broth, sugar, allspice, crushed red pepper, and ginger. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
Ladle the soup into a blender and puree until a smooth consistency. Return the soup back to the pot and add coconut milk. Bring back to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle with a little coconut milk, a sprinkle of ground nutmeg, and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds. Makes 4-6 servings.
This recipe was previously published in 2010. Printable recipe card, nutrition, and new photos have been added
You May Also Love