Raise your hand if you love Bircher Muesli or soaked oats. I do! I love this Swiss oatmeal that is soaked overnight in orange juice and yogurt.
Bircher Muesli are just rolled oats soaked in a liquid. Most soaked oats are soaked in milk or plant based milk. Almond milk is a wonderful milk to use. I personally love soaking my oats in fresh squeezed orange juice. I love the brightness of flavor that it brings to the Muesli. I should mention that I don’t add a sweetener because I feel like the orange juice is sweet enough. If I were going to use almond milk, I would stir in a little maple syrup or honey. I love honey.
How to make Bircher Muesli:
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
2 cups fresh Orange Juice
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
In a medium size bowl, combine 2 cups of oats and 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds. Pour 2 cups fresh orange juice over the mixture and stir.
Throw in a good pinch of salt.
And 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt.
At this point you could add dried fruits, flax, coconut, nuts…anything healthy and delicious to you.
I like to wait until I’m ready to serve before adding fresh fruit or nuts.
Mix well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, remove the soaked mixture and stir.
This is the best part. I’m going to stir in the nuts and chopped apples then top with orange slices and pomegranate arils.
My perfect bowl of Bircher Muesli…well almost perfect. Cocoa nibs would make it perfect. Everything could use a few cocoa nibs. I love those things. They are my favorite food group, if that’s possible.
Apple Pecan Bircher Muesli
Oatmeal soaked in fresh orange juice and yogurt. Topped with fresh oranges, pomegranate arils and almond slices.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 cups fresh Orange Juice
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
- pinch salt
- 1 cup Honeycrisp apples chopped skins left on
- 1/4 cup almonds sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans roughly chopped
- pomegranate arils
- Additional nuts if desired
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together rolled oats, chia seeds, orange juice and yogurt. Cover and refrigerate over night. To serve: Mix in chopped apples, pecans, and almonds. Serve in individual bowls and top with chopped oranges, pomegranate arils, and additional nuts, if desired. Makes about 4 servings. Muesli will last in refrigerator 3-4 days.