Most people think of coconut cream pie for Easter but my grandmother served her coconut cream pie for all special occasions. One could never resist having a slice of her luscious coconut cream pie next to her hot homemade apple pie for Thanksgiving. Why give up this wonderful tradition?
How to make a Coconut Custard
- In a medium-size saucepan add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk together.
- Add the cold milk and half and half.
- Whisk the mixture together and cook over medium heat.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat 3 yolks. Set aside.
- When the milk mixture begins to thicken, slowly add the hot mixture into the beaten eggs one spoonful and a time.
- Add about 1/2 of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. This tempers the egg yolks so the hot milk mixture doesn’t cook the yolks. Slowly add the egg mixture back into the hot milk stirring constantly.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes to make sure the egg yolks are completely cooked. Stir constantly so the custard does ot scorch or burn the bottom of the pan. The mixture will be thick.
- Remove the pan fro the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla until completely smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut. Reserve remaining coconut for the topping.
- Pour the filling into a baked pie crust. Cool.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap directly to the top of the custard. Press the plastic wrap against the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours or overnight.
Make the Whipped Topping
- Using a medium-size mixing bowl, add cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Use a hand mixer or whisk by hand until the cream form stiff peaks.
- Beat until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over custard. Sprinkle top with lots of sweetened flaked coconut.
Coconut Cream Pie
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coconut divided
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 1 cup whipping cream
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a medium-size saucepan. Add milk and cream and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour a spoonful amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; blend thoroughly. Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture to the egg yolks, then pour back into the saucepan. Cook another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir in 1/2 cup of the coconut. Cover with plastic wrap and press plastic against the custard. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
Whipped Cream Topping
- When ready to serve, make the topping by pouring whipping cream into a medium-size mixing bowl. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form. Remove pie from refrigerator and remove plastic wrap. Spread whipped cream over the custard and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 coconut.
- Serves 8-10 depending on how large you slice the pie.
To make a chocolate cream pie: Reduce sugar to 3/4 cup and add 1 cup chopped semi-sweet chocolate to the milk and sugar mixture. Stir until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth